Boardgame Artwork | qujOchÖ | 2014-2018
Myth of Theuth is a boardgame about media theory, invented and produced by qujOchÖ art collective, Linz.
But when they came to writing, Theuth said: “O King, here is something that, once learned, will make the Egyptians wiser and will improve their memory; I have discovered a potion for memory and for wisdom.” This is how it goes, the myth of the invention of writing by the Egyptian god Theuth, as described by the well-known Greek philosopher Plato in his work “Phaedrus” from the 5th century BC.
In this game you will move through ancient Athens, collecting different media in order to complete a mission. You will meet famous people who greatly influenced the development of media and cultural theories. Gotthold Ephraim Lessing shows you the limits of the image, Laura Mulvey takes a delightful gaze on your memorizing abilities, and Marshall McLuhan finally gets his well-deserved massage. Across the 12 stations, you will use smartphones, newspapers, stamps, candy, hand, feet, pairs of eyes, and other means to discover the Myth of Theuth. Whoever manages to finish the mission first – with a combination of strategy, luck, and knowledge – will be worshiped as a divine medium!
Get the MYTH OF THEUTH now at http://qujochoe.org/en/myth-of-theuth-get-the-game!
MYTH OF THEUTH is regularly presented at selected media art festivals and in various art spaces:
- Festival Ars Electronica, Linz, September 10 2017: http://qujochoe.org/en/myth-of-theuth-ars-electronica-festival-2017
- quitch, Linz, December 14 2017: http://qujochoe.org/en/myth-of-theuth-quitch
- depot, Vienna, March 7 2018: http://qujochoe.org/en/mythos-von-theuth-depot-wien
- digital spring, Salzburg, March 15 2018: http://www.digitalspring.at/en_programme2018_qujOchOe.html
- Munich Science & Fiction Festival, April 13 2018: http://einstein-kultur.de/veranstaltung/?ee=2111
Find out more about qujOchÖ at qujochoe.org